For more than 25 years, San Francisco Baykeeper has been the Bay’s most effective advocate, taking on the greatest threats to the health of the Bay and the wildlife and communities that depend on it. Baykeeper uses advocacy, science, and legal action to rein in Bay pollution, and engages a diverse community of stakeholders to protect water quality, improve climate resilience, and restore habitat health.
The following positions are currently available at San Francisco Baykeeper.
San Francisco Baykeeper is looking for an enthusiastic intern to conduct in-depth research and analysis and develop informational materials related to pollution in San Francisco Bay. This volunteer intern will work closely with Baykeeper’s program team of scientists and lawyers.
- Training: Intern will work in the Baykeeper office and develop an understanding about the Bay's watershed, pollution threats, environmental policies and local governmental agencies. Intern may also occasionally participate in hearings, field trainings, investigations, or boat patrols.
- Commitment: 10-15 hours a week.
- Compensation: This is an unpaid volunteer position.
- Available on a regular schedule for at least 3 months;
- Comfortable in an office setting working with computers, websites, online databases, and complex research topics;
- Ability to create Excel spreadsheets and Microsoft Word graphics, such as tables and graphs;
- Resourceful, excellent problem solver;
- Online research experience;
- Willingness to assist with administrative tasks;
- Punctuality, positive attitude, demonstrated commitment to an environmental career path, and good people skills are also strongly desired.
How to Apply
We accept applications for January - May Spring interns starting on November 15, June - August Summer interns starting on April 15, and September - December Fall interns starting on July 15. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Provide a short email expressing your interest and describing why you are a good fit for the position, a resume, and two references to email@example.com. The subject line should read "[Your Last Name], Internship." For inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Francisco Baykeeper is seeking law clerks to work on our citizen enforcement program in San Francisco. Since 1989, Baykeeper has been the leading citizen group protecting San Francisco Bay, using science, litigation, and advocacy to strengthen clean water laws and hold polluters accountable. Law clerks will assist Baykeeper attorneys on all aspects of our enforcement program under the Clean Water Act and other state and federal environmental laws. Tasks include investigating pollution complaints, legal research, drafting legal documents, monitoring compliance with past settlement agreements, attending hearings and public meetings, and patrolling the Bay on the Baykeeper boat.
Litigation and Enforcement
- Research and investigate new pollution cases;
- Research and draft memos on case law, statutes, and regulations;
- Assist in-house attorneys and outside counsel in drafting legal documents;
- Conduct compliance monitoring on settled cases;
- Attend court hearings and settlement negotiations as appropriate;
- Assist with filing, correspondence, or document review as needed.
- Represent and advocate on behalf of Baykeeper at local agency hearings;
- Research and prepare comments on agency regulations and permits;
- Draft memos on technical and legal aspects of water quality regulations;
- Research pollutants and their associated land uses;
- Assist with press releases, outreach efforts, and public events
- At least one year of law school;
- Excellent legal research and writing skills;
- A solid academic record;
- Ability to thrive in a friendly, informal setting;
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental protection;
- Significant knowledge of environmental and administrative laws a plus.
How to Apply
We are currently accepting applications for Fall 2018 and Spring 2019.
Send a cover letter, resume, three references, a current transcript, and a 5-10 page legal writing sample to email@example.com